We’ve the capacity to produce 70% of essential drugs in Ghana-Pharmacy Council

The Ghana Pharmacy Council says it has, the capacity to produce the majority of the drugs needed in the country.

The Director in charge of Operations, Daniel Dankwah in an interview on Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm indicated that the industry is positioned to produce 70% of the drugs needed in Ghana.

The move he added will reduce the importation of drugs that can be produced in Ghana as well as create job opportunities for the unemployed youth.

There are currently 15 local pharmaceutical companies in the country.

These companies account for 30 percent of the country’s essential drug requirement, with the remaining 70 percent imported.

However, Mr. Dankwah says they have, the capacity to produce 70% of the essential drugs we need in Ghana.

He disclosed that the various companies are rolling out initiatives to expand their existing infrastructure and to introduce modern technologies into their operations to improve production.

When asked if the council will consider the activities of traditional and herbal medicines, he said, for now, we cannot consider them.

He explained the drugs to be produced are ones vetted and approved for human consumption.

He encouraged the herbal practitioners to enhance their research works to ensure their drugs are potent and effective.

By: Rashid Obodai Provencal

You might also like

Comments are closed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: