Tree Crops Development Authority to be inaugurated in a few weeks-Prez
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has announced plans to establish the Tree Crops Development Authority to promote the development of other cash crops including cashew produce across the country.
Speaking to the chiefs and people of Odumase on his tour of the Bono Region, the president disclosed the Council of State is currently considering appointees that would be working at the Authority.
He said already, Parliament has passed the Tree Crops Development Bill and the establishment of the Authority is in the final stage after he assented to the bill.
The president in his speech said just like COCOBOD is promoting the development of cocoa, the new Authority will promote cashew crops and ensure cashew farmers are not cheated.
Akufo-Addo says he believes that the authority will ensure that cashew will earn Ghana much revenue just like cocoa.
”The Authority will promote the development of other cashew produce across the country. We want cashew to be given the needed attention just COCOBOD is helping promote the development of cocoa. It will protect and give cashew farmers what they deserve. Cashew farmers will no longer to be cheated.”
The Tree Crop Development Bill which was passed in 2019 contains twenty-seven clauses that cover diverse issues towards the set-up of an entity regulating the Ghanaian tree crops industry:
- Clause 1 to 4 seek to establish the Tree Crops Development Authority as a corporate body; regulate the management, production, processing and trading in tree crops; deal with the Object and Functions of the Authority; and the governing board of the Authority regarding the membership, operations and policy issues.
- Clause 5 to 7 provide for the standard provisions on the tenure of office of the Board, meetings of the Board and disclosure of interests.
- Clause 8 to 11 make provision for the establishment of committees, payment of allowances, creation of regional offices of the Authority; and directives to the Board on matters of policy.
- Clause 12 to 14 deal with the administration and appointment of the Executive Officer and other staff to the Authority.
- Clause 15 to 22 capture the financial provisions of the Authority including the establishment of the Tree Crops Fund and the appointment of a body to manage the fund.
- Clause 23 to 27 cover miscellaneous matters.