Military men in custody over coup plot-Minister
The Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has said some military personnel including an officer are in custody over the alleged attempted coup plot on Ghana’s presidency.
The Minister further disclosed that the suspects would be processed for court in some few days.
“There are military persons including an officer who are in custody and being interrogated in connection with this incident,” the Information minister told sit-in host of Morning Starr Lantam Papanko on Tuesday. That adds to the three others that were earlier announced in the government statement on the matter.
“This is not a matter that we can just trivialise or discuss on Facebook and WhatsApp platforms, we need to commend our security agencies. The group have put in place measures to procure instruments to execute their plans and have even started testing some of the instruments and that was why the Security Agencies had to step in immediately. From the brief given by the security agencies they have been monitoring the activities of a group of persons who had plans of overthrowing the government for about 15 months now”.
Below are details of a statement from the Information ministry
On Friday, 20th September 2019, a joint security operation of personnel drawn from Defence Intelligence, CID and Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), conducted a successful operation which led to the arrest of three persons and the retrieval of several arms, explosive devices and ammunition from locations in Accra and Bawaleshie near Dodowa.
- The joint operation was to neutralize an elaborate plot targeted at the Presidency, and with the ultimate aim of destabilizing the country.
The arrest and seizure come after fifteen (15) months of surveillance and gathering of evidence on the activities of the prime suspects and others.
- The persons arrested are Dr. Frederick Yao Mac-Palm and his two accomplices – Mr. Ezor Kafui (a local weapon manufacturer) and Mr. Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu (aka BB or ADC).
- The following items were retrieved as part of the operation: a. Citadel Hospital (Alajo, Accra)
5 x locally manufactured pistols with magazines fitted on.
- 1 x foreign pistol (Reg. No. PX154006) with 2 X magazines.
- 3 x locally manufactured pistol barrels.
- 3 x smoke grenades.· 22 x Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
- 9 x 7.62mm NATO AK47 rounds.
- 2 x AK47 magazines.· 1 x long Knife.
- The outlined plan for the operation presented by some
- soldiers at one of their meetings at Next-Door Resort. 7 x mobile phones.
- 2 x IPADs.
- 2 x decoders.
- 1 x modem.
- 3 x tablets.
- 1 x Ghanaian passport.
- 2 x pen-drives.
- 1 x voice recorder.
- 1 x USB connector.
- Machines and materials for manufacturing weapons and
- IEDs. b. Bawaleshie near Dodowa 63 x 9mm NATO rounds.
- 5. Surveillance on the activities of the persons involved commenced in June 2018, when Dr. Mac-Palm and Bright Allan Debrah Ofosu (“BB” or “ADC”), started organizing a series of meetings at the Next-Door Beach Resort, in Teshie, and other locations in Accra, in furtherance of their objectives.