4th Ghana Trade & Finance Conference postponed over Covid-19
The 4th Ghana International Trade and Finance Conference (AfCFTA) has been postponed due to the directive from President Akufo-Addo for all conferences and other public gatherings to be suspended.
The event was originally scheduled to come off at the Movenpick Ambassador Grand Hotel from April 9th-10th.
The organizers have indicated they will announce a new date for the conference.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Sunday addressed the nation announcing new measures in the bid to prevent thee spread of the virus.
- All public gatherings, including conferences, workshops, funerals, festivals, political rallies, sporting events and religious activities, such as services in churches and mosques, have been suspended for the next four (4) weeks. Private burials are permitted, but with limited numbers, not exceeding twenty-five (25) in attendance;
- All Universities, Senior High Schools, and basic schools, i.e. public and private schools, will be closed Monday, 16th March, 2020, till further notice. The Ministry of Education, in collaboration with the Ministry of Communication, has been tasked to roll out distance learning programmes. However, BECE and WASSCE candidates will be allowed to attend school to prepare for their examinations, but with prescribed social distancing protocols;
- The Government of Ghana’s Travel Advisory issued earlier today should be observed as announced;
- Businesses and other workplaces can continue to operate, but should observe prescribed social distancing between patrons and staff;
- Establishments, such as supermarkets, shopping malls, restaurants, night clubs, hotels and drinking spots, should observe enhanced hygiene procedures by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands;
- The Ministry of Transport should work with the transport unions and private and public transport operators to ensure enhanced hygienic conditions in all vehicles and terminals, by providing, amongst others, hand sanitizers, running water and soap for washing of hands; and
- The Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development should co-ordinate, with the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, measures to enhance conditions of hygiene in markets across the country.
Additionally, as the experts conduct contact tracing, I appeal to all to co-operate with them to ensure that persons who have come into contact with positive cases are identified and supported.