Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Rainbow Radio - Items filtered by date: Tuesday, 12 June 2018
Ghana's Attorney General, Madam Gloria Akuffo says it will be an act of irresponsibility on the part of government to allow the current Ghana Football Association (GFA), to function after some officials were captured on tape allegedly accepting bribes to influence their work. The minister said although she is willing to give executives from GHALCA an opportunity to meet her over the intended plans to dissolve the GFA, it will not halt the processes for the dissolution. GHALCA met with the Sports Minister, Mr Asiamah and have suggested taking over the running of the Ghana FA and call for an emergency congress. But the minister rejected their proposal and insisted government will not reverse the dissolution plan. GHALCA has since planned on meeting the Attorney General. However, before they even meet to discuss their issues, Madam Akuffo says the plan to dissolve GFA will not be reversed. ‘’I can only say categorically that, we will go on with this petition. We are seeking a restructuring…Our position is that, the GFA as presently constituted, especially if you consider, it is not only the subscribers who are involved in this. Referees, regional directors, almost everybody associated…are not only bleeding and using the FA for their personal gain through illegal means, but they are also affecting the performance of football in this country.’’ According to the minister, although government has invested resources in revamping football in the country, the nation has not benefited from the heavy investments saying, ‘’…in fact it is inequitable, it is illegal, it will be irresponsible if we continue to sit back and allow the FA as presently constituted to continue to operate.’’ Madam Gloria Akuffo said, the court action which resulted in a ten-day-ban on all FA activities, was triggered because two of the officials made an attempt to travel to Russia to attend a FIFA event over the weekend. An Accra High Court has banned GFA activities for ten days. The order of the court, therefore bars the GFA and its officials from carrying out all official duties at least for ten days. The injunction comes after the government filed a petition at the High Court for the dissolution of the GFA. The minister explained, the injunction will hold the situation pending the determination of the petition which is asking that, the GFA be liquidated because it is the view of government that, the GFA as constituted presently, is not performing the objects for which it was incorporated. And from the Anas video, clearly, its being used as a vehicle for illegality and the government cannot sit back…’’
Published in General News
A presidential staffer has been suspended for 30 days after engaging in social media banter with some supporters of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP). Dr Louise Carol Serwaa Donkor has been suspended from her duties at the presidency, as statement from the seat of government, Jubilee House has stated. The statement which announced her suspension described her conduct as disparaging to the Ghanaian society. The suspended staffer incurred the wrath of NPP supporters last week through a Facebook which she posted on her page. Ms Donkor, who is the number 114 on the list of 998 is, in addition to her presidential staffer role, a leading member of controversial girls group PepperDem. Her post on Facebook which got her suspended read: “You shouldn’t”, she encouraged her friend who posted it. “You can’t reason with them (footsoldiers).” She said. “It’s like tribalist”, she added.
Published in General News
Founder and General Overseer of the Glorious Wave Church International, Prophet Badu Kobi in 2016 called on Kwesi Nyantakyi, the resigned President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA). The prophet had called on the embattled lawyer to step down because he had done enough for the FA. He was speaking in interview with Rainbow Radio’s Nhyiraba Kwabena Asirifi. ‘’Nyantakyi should step down because if he steps down, things will go in his favour,’’ he said, and when he was told Nyantakyi’s mandate has not being exhausted fully he said, ‘’you are saying his time is not yet up but I would advise him to step down. If he is not willing to step down now, he should not go for re-election.’’ At the time of the interview, the prophet as waded into the rift between Nyantakyi and the immediate past Sports minister, Nii Lante Vanderpuye saying: ‘’I heard him attacking the former minister, I was shocked…He must be a leader and deviate from all those things,’’ he had said. The prophet who made a number of revelations also called for the reconstitution of the Black Stars National Team. The ill treatment meted out to the our former team members he lamented brought a curse on the national team. The undercover investigation, captured in a documentary, entitled #Number 12, has since led to the resignation of the GFA president, Kwesi Nyantakyi who was secretly filmed engaged in alleged corrupt practices with undercover agents disguised as Arab investors interested in sponsoring Ghana football. Mr Nyantakyi, who is also the First Vice President of the Confederation of African Football and a member of the FIFA Council, was last Thursday handed a 90-day worldwide ban from all football activities pending investigations by FIFA’s Ethics Committee.
Published in General News
Ahead of FIFA World Cup 2018, Africa’s leading digital TV operator, Star Times has officially launched in Ghana its app video streaming service. Elaborating on the use of the app, The Head of Marketing for Star Times, Madam AkofaDjankui said that subscribers would have to just download the app on google play store as well as Star Times websites and can watch it at anywhere anytime. She also said subscribers would not only watch live matches but also full highlights, build-ups, interviews and analysis. Star Times has liaised with MTN to ensure that a subscriber would be able to view all 64 matches with a little amount of data, she added. The first 30,000 users can enjoy a very attractive EARLY BIRD PROMO for watching World Cup on the Star Times App to mark the launch of this new service. Adding, she said that from 12th to 14th of June,2018, first 30,000 users will have the opportunity to enjoy discounted prices. Instead of ghc2.50 per day or ghc10.00 per week and ghc25.00 for 38 days, subscribers for “ON Sport bouquet on Star Times app will now pay ghc1.50 per day, ghc 6.00 per week and ghc7.00 for 38 days, she told reporters. She emphasized that there are no difficulties as far as the use of the app is concerned. There is absolutely no need to worry about weather conditions, signal qualities, electricity or being in transit. All a user needs is just a steady internet connection. Star Times app has over 70 channel allowing viewers to watch movies, series, documentaries, music as well as sports. By: Priscilla Obeng Asantewaa (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
Published in Sports
General Secretary for the Ghana Medical Association (GMA), Dr. Justice Yankson, has said every Ghanaians is at risk of dying from the ‘No Bed Syndrome’. Speaking to Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, the medical doctor called on government to release resources to resolve the challenge in the emergency care services. ‘’These problems do exist and it is up to the state to ensure that, we channel a lot more resources and investments into emergency medical services, both in terms of the human capital and the material. Human capital is that; the doctors and nurses and health personnel should have their capacity built. We don’t have enough trained emergency care practitioners. All these things are lacking. We may have it, but it is lacking,’’ he told the host. He added: ‘’we still have a lot to do. People usually think it is about a doctor and nurse issue. But nobody is immune from this problem. As a doctor, this can happen to me. I know some senior doctors who have died as a result of the no bed syndrome. At that point, it is not about being a doctor. It is about how functional our system is. As medical practitioners, we see the situation on daily basis. The situation is growing worse due to growth in population. Our medical facilities are being stretched due to our growth in population.’’ The lack of no bed syndrome which has led to the death of a number of Ghanaians he stated has been more than a decade problem. ‘’Generally, the principle that people go to three, four, five, six or eight hospitals and are rejected over lack of beds is not a new problem. The problem has existed over the last seven to ten years especially in Accra, it has been persistent. The challenge is usually recorded at nights with emergency cases,’’ he said. Emergency care he explained is an important service which has been neglected despite being an essential service. Emergency cases in other countries, are managed by the Ambulance Service and because the officials are able to communicate with hospitals, they are able to determine where to send you in order to prevent them from roaming unnecessarily. Dr. Yankson decried the lack of world class emergency units in our various facilities and until we invest in these areas, we will continue to experience the ‘no bed syndrome’, he said.
Published in General News
Chairman for the Welfare Agbogbloshie Drivers Union, W.O.I (rtd) Eddie Commey, has bemoaned the poor state of some vehicles at the station. According to the chairman, loans are granted to the drivers of dilapidated lorries so they can repair them before plying the roads. The drivers mostly carry heavy loads and precisely they are in market square so the verisimilitude to have these kinds of ramshackle vehicles in Abgogbloshie station is high precisely at Makola number 2. At Makola number 2, some commuters share their views on how uncomfortable they feel in these ramshackle vehicles. According to a commuter, the vehicles go ruin as a result of the breeze and are only God that takes them to their destination safely. Commuters also expressed how bad the vehicles tear their dresses and sometimes injure them in the cause of boarding the Lorries. In an interview with Mr. Isaac Lartey a driver, he said the vehicles that are mostly seen on the stretch of Abgogbloshie to Chorkor, Korle-Gonnor and its environs are in a tumbledown condition due to the sea breeze. The stench that mostly emanates from these LT vehicles is unbearable due to loading of fish. This is because majority of the passengers are mostly fish mongers and are from Chorkor which has been known as one of the fishing and fish mongering community. In our observation, Makola number 2 is one of the busiest Lorries station under Agbobgloshie vehicles station. A number of the vehicles have punctured in the ceiling and when there is a downpour, it leaks onto the passengers. The rusted nature of these vehicles are scruffy and most of these vehicles loading from Makola number 2 to Korle-Gonnor, Chorkor and its environs do not have safety belt. By: Bebli Tornam and Pelagie Gnehi (Interns, Rainbow Radio)
Published in Business
Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Media Excel Production, Kwasi Ernest, says he will not deliberate on the negative stories over his relationship with Joyce Blessing as a former manager. He underscored the need for the media to rather focus on promoting the Zylofon Music only gospel signed artiste instead of focusing on the controversies. Kwasi Ernest opined, ‘’let us not dwell on the negative stories. Let us focus on promoting the artiste. She is a talented artiste. Mr. Ernest who known to be a successful promoter believes Joyce Blessing, is one of the talented gospel musicians who can put Ghana on the global map and possibly win a BET award. ‘’Let us use the time to promote Joyce Blessing. I am saying this because; in Ghana if we want one of the best musicians in terms of performance who can take Ghana to BET, that person is Joyce Blessing. I have the believe in her that, she’s got the talent to take Ghana to any international level,’’ he added. He said the way one respond to issues show how matured you are. ‘’I am a matured man and so I will not respond to issues in an immature manner.’’ Kwasi Ernest told Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr Handsome on GH Entertainment that, he feels sad responding to issues about Joyce Blessing because ‘’I am not her target. I will rather stress that, we should promote her. This will be the last time I will be responding to Joyce Blessing.’’ ‘’There is no bad blood between the two of us. I have never spoken evil about Joyce Blessing. I was interviewed by Graphic Showbiz but they attributed some comments to me which I never made. But if I have said something which she felt bad about, I apologize. This is not the time for me to respond to the issues she has raised…I want to rather use the opportunity to pray for her so God will led her to a path of success.’’ ‘’I am sure that her husband, Dave Joy will understand by the age of 50 years, he will know that, I [Kwasi Ernest] was not a bad person but a good man,’’ he concluded.
Published in Music
%PM, %12 %571 %2018 %12:%Jun

Court bans GFA activities for 10 days

The High Court has placed an interim injunction on the activities of the Ghana Football Association (GFA). The order of the court, therefore bars the GFA and its officials from carrying out all official duties at least for ten days. The injunction comes after the government filed a petition at the High Court for the dissolution of the GFA. Last Thursday the government indicated that it had initiated processes to dissolve the football controlling body in the aftermath of public outrage at an exposé by the ace investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas, which revealed corrupt massive act among high ranking officials of the FA and referees. In her argument before the court, the Attorney General, Gloria Akuffo, argued that the GFA was being used for illegal purposes. The injunction, according to the AG, is, therefore, necessary to protect the public. The undercover investigation, captured in a documentary, entitled #Number 12, has since led to the resignation of the GFA president, Kwesi Nyantakyi who was secretly filmed engaged in alleged corrupt practices with undercover agents disguised as Arab investors interested in sponsoring Ghana football. Mr Nyantakyi, who is also the First Vice President of the Confederation of African Football and a member of the FIFA Council, was last Thursday handed a 90-day worldwide ban from all football activities pending investigations by FIFA’s Ethics Committee. Credit: GraphicOnline
Published in Sports
The Inter Party Coalition for National Sovereignty has issued a statement after it met to deliberate over some pressing national issues. The communiqué has described the budgeted cost for the registration and issuance of Ghana card as outrageous. The Coalition has adopted the position taken by the Minority and opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) on the need for the National Identification Authority (NIA) to review the criteria for the registration. Signed by Chairman Bernard Mornah, the communiqué said, ‘’ At the meeting the coalition adopted a common stance on the Ghana card issuance and endorsed the position taken by both the Minority in Parliament and the leader of the APC Hassan Ayariga at a press conference last week. ‘’ The Coalition has also described the latest expose of alleged corruption at the Ghana Football Association (GFA) as unfortunate. According to them, ‘’It noted that while the focus is on cleaning up football administration in the country, the damning insight of corruption and fishy deals in the Akufo-Addo government as captured in the video cannot be relegated to the background. COMMUNIQUE The Inter Party Coalitionfor National Sovereignty met in Accra yesterday June 11 2018 to deliberate on pressing national issues. Matters concerning the issuance of the citizen identity cards and the Anas expose on the rot in Ghana football dominated discussions. The meeting also considered as grave, statements made by former GFA Chairman KwesiNyantakyi whichpoint to possible corruption and sleaze in the highest echelons of the Akufo-Addogovernment. At the meeting the coalition adopted acommon stance on the Ghana card issuance and endorsed the position taken by both the Minority in Parliament and the leader of the APC Hassan Ayariga at a press conference last week. The coalition took particular note of the following: The outrageous cost of 1.2billion dollars for the project Blatant breach of procurement procedures Restrictive identity requirements for registration which will disenfranchise millions of Ghanaian citizens. On the topical issue of the Anas tape, the Coalition expressed grave concern about the extent to which Ghana’s international image has been severely dented. It noted that while the focus is on cleaning up football administration in the country, the damning insight of corruption and fishy deals in the Akuffo Addo governmentas captured in the video cannot berelegated to the background. In this regard, the coalition is emphatic that the smokescreen apology by the former GFA chairman does not absolvePresident Akufo-Addo or any of the named officials. Therefore the matter is far from over. The Coalition will next week hold a joint press conference to dilate further on the national situation. Signed BenardMornah (Chairman of PNC) Spokesperson of the Coalition
Published in General News
Listeners of Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm have expressed their concerns and shared their emotions and experiences concerning the lack of beds in hospitals which has led to the death of innocent lives in the country. The listeners shared their experiences during the phone in segment on Frontline hosted by Kwame Tutu. A guest, Obiri Yeboah, came to share his experience on the “lack of beds” syndrome by hospitals in the country, a situation which has led to the demise of his father, Anthony Opoku-Acheampon after been rejected by six hospitals including the nation’s well known Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. Some of listeners complained of the “no bed” situation they also experienced whileothers gave complains of not getting first aid treatment at the hospitals they visited with emergency cases. Some listeners also complained bitterly of the attitudes of some doctors and nurses in the hospitals when emergency cases are reported at these facilities. The listeners called on authorities to put in measures to address the challenges confronting the health sector. They also underscored the need for medical officers to provide first aid to patients before they refer them to other facilities to prevent deaths. One of the listener advised hospitals should be inspected frequently to ensure they have the proper health care systems and equipment to run the place. Moreover more hospital beds and qualified nurses should be considered when hospitals are set up to ensure the safety of lives in the nation. The 70-year-old man reportedly died in his car at the LEKMA Hospital in Accra, after seven hospitals turned him away over claims that there were no beds. The late Prince Anthony Opoku Acheampong was the CEO of Printhony Printing Press in Adabraka, a suburb of Accra. His company is reported to be the suppliers of stationery for C&J Medicare Hospital also in Adabraka, where he was first turned away. By: Nicholas Nii Nai Afful (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
Published in Health
Page 1 of 3
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« June 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30